Doin' The Happy Dance



So, in case you live under a rock, some big stuff happened in the last 24 hours. The proposition SB 5 was brought before the Texas senate last night and a woman rose up for the rights of us all and refused to sit down until she was heard. Wendy Davis filibustered on the senate floor for 13 hours and finally defeated the bill. Wendy Davis, I am so proud that I voted for you. I am so proud you represent me and my rights. I am so proud to call you a fellow Texan. You are a hero.


So when I heard the bill was defeated...I was pretty happy.


Okay, I was REALLY happy.


Maybe ecstatic would be a better word...


But then something else happened. Something that so many people have been hoping and praying for. The Defense Of Marriage Act was struck down by the Supreme Court. That's right, folks, it is unconstitutional to limit marriage rights to same sex couples. In Justice Kennedy's own words:
 “[t]he federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity. By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment.”
FINALLY a step in the right direction. Another step towards equality! Right on, America. Good for you.


Comments