Tomato Basil Soup

I was staring at a blank screen with a blinking cursor trying to come up with a topic for another blog post. Nothing was coming to mind except the large pile of laundry I still don't want to do and having to go back to work tomorrow (something else I really don't want to do). I finally gave in and queried the house:
Me: I don't know what I should post in my blog. Any ideas, guys?
Hubby: I dunno.
The Bug: LOOK! A CAR!!!
We all paused for a moment and looked at the Bug to try to figure out what he was referring to. He was watching Thomas the Train and apparently saw a talking car. Good to know he was paying attention.
The Imp: Mommy, I love your soup. You should right about your soup. It's so yummy and tasty and it makes me happy!

Okay, baby girl, I'll write about my soup.


Tomato Basil Soup (gluten free, kinda low carb)

1 Can plain tomato sauce
2 Cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 TBLS butter (real stuff!)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 TBLS dried basil (it really does taste better and come out better if you use dried, I promise.)
1/2-1 TBLS honey

In a 4 quart sauce pan simmer chicken broth, tomato sauce and butter until butter is melted completely. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, stir. Stir in cream and honey (start small, work your way up! Remember: you can always add more, but you can't take it out). Finally, add basil and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to set on stove for 5 minutes. Stir and taste before serving.

Comments